In a brief conversation today with a co-worker, we were discussing how cold Central Indiana has gotten recently. He made comments about the weekend being sort of dreary though with 45 degrees and rain. "Who would want to spend an entire winter in that?!" he said. I understood what he meant and we went on to talk about the cold and how we both agreed that if it's going to get below freezing, we'd like snow to go with it.After he walked away, I sat pondering his question and immediately found myself depressed. Truth is, I have a house full of people that would love to experience that, because as dreary as it sounds it is the perfect picture of home for us. We've been in Indiana for six years now, but home is still Portland, OR and this holiday season marks the first since we've moved that we'll be staying in the mid-west for the holidays.
So I spent a few moments feeling bad for myself and my family - my own quick little pity party complete with Elvis crooning Blue Christmas in my head - but then I stopped and resolved to find the blessing in it. Yes, we would love to be back home with all our family during the holidays but that's not the plan this year, for a variety of reasons. I'm certain there must be more to it though, so I am going to work hard to find the blessing for us here in Indiana. I'm sure it's there, I'm just going to pray that God will keep all of our eyes, ears, hearts, and minds open to whatever it may be. His plan is always so much better than what we try to plan for ourselves anyways, so I'm certain Blue Christmas is not going to be our theme song this year - and it's definitely not going to make it as a Christmas Song of the Day!
Christmas Song of the Day
Don't Save it All for Christmas Day by Avalon
This is from way back in 2000, but this is still my favorite version of this song with a great message.

No comments:
Post a Comment